Friday, September 20, 2013

The Letter From Spain

Dear Fernando,
    I was in the middle of my sermon, when I said it. I told all the Spaniards in the church that they are in danger of going to hell! The Spaniards need to open their hearts and realize the Indians are people.
    I asked them "do you have the right to kill the Indians?", "why do you make then slaves?", and "why do you attack and torture the Indians?". There was no response just surprised faces. I could hear their comments when I left the church.
"He should be hung!"
"Who does he think he is?"
"Send him back to Spain, send them ALL back!"  
People thought my sermon was a scandal and an insult to our way of life. They demand I take back what I said and if I don't they will take action against me. I think God would want me to take things into my hands and run with the Indians
~Dominican Friar Antonio De Montesinos

No comments:

Post a Comment