Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Bloody Tournament

Blood was gushing down my face, so I ran off the court.“Betsy get over here” yelled Denise frustrated.
“I have a bloody nose” I yelled frustrated as well, while swallowing blood. The nastiest taste ever and there is nothing I can do about it!
  It is the end of the 2012 volleyball season and we are 2nd in the league. The only team we did not beat was the Saint Bernard’s 8th grade team. The Saint Bernard’s tournament is my last time I will play with these eighth graders. Our team was doing fine so far. We had already won 2 rounds out of 5 they have won 0 if they win the next one we would have to play hard. Our team was switching sides, because St.Bernards won the round, when it happened…………….The bloody nose!!!!!
A man got me wet paper towels and so did Leslie.
“Put your head forward”
“No back”
“Forward”
“Back”
“Can I go outside to get some cold air” I asked
“Yes” said Leslie.
I’m letting the entire team down even the coaches because they all want this win and it will be my fault if they lose. This is not good for the game.
About five minutes later………………………………………………..
Next thing I know, Shore is coming saying “it’s okay, I’m a nurse.”  She helped me by telling me what to do with my head and nose, the blood slowed down. Turns out you are supposed to have your head back.  I saw Kateri running outside towards me, and I mean running like Forest Gump. Kateri was thinking Betsy! Betsy!! Betsy!!! Betsy!!!! Betsy!!!!!
“We need you now! We’re losing!” Kateri said frightened.
“Can I go now, Shore?” I asked.
“Yes” motioned Shore.
I ran in the gym following Kateri. “Don’t run” said Shore. I began a slight jog. Leslie asked me “How do you feel, can you serve and play for the rest of the game?”
“Yes” I said strongly.
I subbed in for Kate. We were losing by about 5 points. I got the ball bounced it three times and twirled it waited for the whistle and wham it went right over. “Ahhh a-c-e ace!” the team cheered. That was repeated about seven times. A sharp whistle blew which meant a timeout “We are ahead by three points. Are they gonna break your flow?” asked Leslie.
“Hell to the no” I said knowing it was kind of inappropriate  for being inside a catholic school. I can’t mess up my serve. They can't ice me, all I need is these last six points and we are in second. “Okay dragons on three” commanded Denise. “DRAGONS ON THREE!!!!” the team yelled. “Go dragons” I can hear people cheering on the bench.Our entire team was thinking. We can’t lose to a team that our 7th grade team won against. “WHOOP WHOOP” called out my sister who likes that cheer. I got the ball put the valve down to make sure it did not go out. Did my three bounce twirl and I guess their coach gave them some advice about receiving my serves cause they actually got this one back over the net and we got it back over getting another point we lost my serve two points away from 25(so we have 23) the other team has 18 points. I can hear the coaches yelling “Don’t let the ball drop!” “Spike the ball Betsy!” When the ball was served over the net Sierra bumped it up to Madison, the Madison set the ball to me. Please don't go out! Please stay in please! I spiked the ball hard, but not too hard. No one hit the ball another point for us. Sierra served the ball once more and it was..........OUT! This is bad because now they can serve the ball at us.....hard. The other team got the ball to serve. Of course they sub in one of their good servers. She did her technique and served the ball over I bumped it up and madison set it and I spiked it. We have serve. Come on madison..serve it over. Get us these points! Three points not so hard. She served it over three times. We won!!!! Wait! What Oh my god! We have 2nd place!!! Now its time for the real war the game against St.Bernards 8th grade team. This will be the battle to 1st  place and also those bragging rights. We have won 2 rounds same as St.Bernards. this 5th round will be a bloodier battlefield. We were fighting like two lions over a piece of meat, but instead of meat it was the title 1st place. We fought hard but lost with a score of 13 and the other team having 15. We were happy to have 2nd even though it’s a smaller piece of meat. I loved that tournament because I will always have that memory whenever I walk into trinidad school I will know I was a big part of that win.

7 comments:

  1. I liked how you started off with the bloody nose, and I liked your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great how you turned a fairly short amount of time into a long blow by blow essay, the title is very intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how intense it was and it was good that you had lots of interior monologue. only thing i suggest is to add some more physical description :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The writing flowed really nicely and there were great sensory details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you were able to play again! I like how you capitalized certain words, it made the story more exiting!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The story is just like how I remembered it. Really nice details! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i always get bloody noses it sucks also it is because of my allergies

    ReplyDelete